October

 What a month! We were in the "cone of uncertainty" twice, with the second bringing Hurricane Zeta to New Orleans. The storm certainly added more complications and stress to an already difficult and strange school year. Luckily it appears we made it out relatively well, although many of my classmates are still without power. We are wrapping our third module for the month which feels like a whirlwind, but I have learned so much.     

The past few days have really highlighted the importance of community. Our professors have checked in and made sure we are ok, the University has continued to offer support, and the greater New Orleans community has done what it does best and step up to help their neighbor. I spent some time helping neighbors clean up (thankfully minor ) damage like broken glass from windows and lots of downed branches, and saw many other neighbors out offering help whether it be labor or a beer and a hug. 

Covid has continued to make volunteering both essential and complicated. I spent time doing a variety of things to make a difference in communities I am a part of. Mutual aid is the best way to support and grow a community and one way I participate in this in the New Orleans area is cleaning and helping stock local community fridges. This month I again read to a local class and did a little informational presentation for them about Dia de los Muertos. I also volunteered for a research study that was focused on memory and mental health in Latina women. I also spent time writing more letters to our pals in assisted living. 

Next month I am excited to volunteer with Hagar's House and find other ways to support my community.

Volunteer hours this month: 5 

Comments

Popular Posts